A Big Hairy Audacious Goal, or BHAG (pronounced bee-hag), is a strategic business statement, similar to a vision statement, which is daring and brazen. BHAGs are usually emotionally-based, and for the long-term. Folks outside the business often see it as questionable or unobtainable, but the people inside think it is totally achievable, and rally around it.
A few notable examples include:
- JFK’s Moon Challenge: The nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to earth.
- 1980’s Microsoft: A computer on every desk and in every home.
- Google today: Organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
- Volvo today: We don’t accept that globally 1.3 million people should die every year in road traffic accidents. Aiming for zero, by 2020 no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo.
Straighten The Maze BHAG
Create standards for Intranets that reduce their burden on a business. Get the business world to recognize and adopt them.
- Focus on common foundational items that are complicated, easy to get wrong, and that every business creates from scratch.
- Deliver prescriptive standards to modernize and simplify how businesses approach Intranets.
- Help businesses get the basics out of their hair so they can spend more of their attention on the truly unique things that their business needs from an Intranet.